Due to modernization, there is riding instead of walking and working in the cubicle instead of field making people over-weight. More worse case is obesity. Obesity is a condition in which the body accumulates excess fat causing health problems. It is very necessary to avoid obesity. It can cause severe health problems. Obesity puts you in risk of type 2 diabetes, heart diseases, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, some types of cancer, and strokes.
“In this world replete with diabetes and heart disease; it is important to prevent obesity from childhood to stop these diseases from happening. It is important that we influence school children so as to increase their knowledge about nutrition and physical activity, in an effort to change their attitude and practices for life”. – Dr.Anoop Misra Executive Chairman, Fortis CD-DOC Healthcare Ltd.
There are more than 1 billion adults who are overweight and more than 300 million are obese over the globe. According to the CDC (Center for Disease Control and Prevention):
- In Us, 66 percent of the adults are overweight, 32 percent are obese
- In Japan and Africa, the obesity level is below 5 percent.
- China has a low obesity rate but some large country has 20 percent obesity.
Obesity is not only limited to westerns nations. It has started making its way to Asian countries like India, China, and Pakistan.
Why Obesity Happens:
Although your genes play an important part in determining your body weight however there are many other factors. We have access to more nutritious food and fast food. We are not much active as we were in the past. As a result, we are taking more calories than we burn. However, overweight and obesity lead to health problems from heart diseases, diabetes to stroke. These health risks deteriorate the quality of health and can become the cause of premature death.
Obesity vs Overweight:
Overweight and obesity are terms used to describe the level of excess weight that is accumulated by the body which is unhealthy as well. A person is obese when body mass index (BMI) is greater than 30. One way to determine that whether you are obese or overweight is to calculate your BMI (Body Mass Index). It can be calculated by dividing the body weight in Kilograms by the square of your height in meters.
- Formule will be kg/m^2
- A BMI between 25 and 29.9 is overweight
- A BMI of 30 or higher is obese
Tips to avoid obesity:
Recent information that 22 percent of people globally will be overweight by 2045 if trends persist to set the spotlight on the health of the centuries. Unless we took precautions, this trend will be going to increase. Here are the 5 tips to avoid obesity:
- Lifestyle changes-Most people have more success when they make small changes, one step at a time. For example, you might eat an extra piece of fruit or add more vegetables to your meals. By changing little things like sleeping schedules will help you a lot in achieving your goal which will avoid obesity.
- Exercise-Due to quarantine, we are more exposed to obesity and going overweight. This will have adverse effects on your health. According to the CDC (Center for Disease Control and Prevention), everybody should do 150 minutes of moderate training or 75 minutes of intense training every week. You can just improve your stamina for running a mile daily.
- Mental Health- With obesity comes to a range of emotions from anger to depression, and many who are overweight suffer from self-image issues. It is not enough to simply handle the physical aspects of your weight problem; you must also find ways to improve your mental health. Mental health and attitude directly related to poor sleep. When you are tired, it becomes much more difficult to handle stressful situations. So sleep should definitely be mentioned in some way here.
- Eating– Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and one must make sure to have a healthy breakfast. Morning is the time when we are hungry after a long duration of sleep. As far as dinner is concerned, experts advised to take it till 8 pm. After this stop taking carbohydrates.
- Drink Water– This seems to ver normal but wait. Make sure to drink lots of water throughout the day. It helps you feel hydrated and aids better digestion. Drinking more water also improves metabolism and is helpful for weight loss.
In short, a healthy weight is important in maintaining good health. Take steps to prevent obesity in your daily life is a good step. Even small changes such as described above can help to avoid obesity. Additionally, meeting with a fitness trainer can help you find activities that work for your body. For more information, visit Instacare or book a session with a doctor here.